Monday, June 8, 2020

Adventures in the Pacific's Backwater Bars: Colette


At the intersection of pastel panorama and expat entertainment, Club Cupid occupied a special place among Pohnpei's evening entertainment options. 
Club Cupid, August 1999.  Photo:  S.Jacques Stratton

Though travelers seeking a true immersion in Micronesian culture considered "touristy" any drinking establishment other than a sakau bar, Club Cupid had a special allure, and often played host to lively gatherings of ex-pats and locals alike.  Here, on the first weekend of my life as an ex-pat English teacher, I met Colette, whose unconventional pool tactics provided memorable source material for Chapter 3 of my travel memoir, Islands on the Fringe, a section of which I excerpt below:

I edge close to the pool table, where the party atmosphere carries overtones of spectator sport, as onlookers watch a slinky brunette in her fifties sink one difficult shot after another.  Wearing a low-cut blouse that opens to overly-tanned cleavage, she confidently leans into her final shot and knocks the 8-ball home with a double carom.  In a raspy smoker’s voice, she asks “who’s the queen?” “Colette’s the queen!” her onlookers reply, while her defeated opponent rests his cue on the table and returns to the gallery of previously-chastened challengers. 
     “Anybody else?” the brunette inquires, casually rubbing chalk on the end of her cue.
Seeing nobody immediately respond, I step forward.
     As I rack the balls, the woman looks me over.  “Where you been hiding, Honey?”  she asks.  “I thought I knew all the guys around here.”
     I introduce myself and I explain I’d flown in just a few days before.
    “Nice to meet you, Jacques,” she says.
     As the standing winner, Colette elects to break, and spears the cue ball in a freewheeling style that shows little regard for shot sequencing.  The break comes up dry; balls scatter but none drop, and based on the carom action, I recognize the pool table as one known in pool parlance as “wet,” its cloth and cushions rendered sluggish by humidity.  “So, Jacques,” Colette says as I survey the table, “I guess you got tired of drinking with Barton and his gang?”
     “I guess so,” I say, surprised to find my prior whereabouts in the bar a matter of scrutiny.       With a soft shot, I sink a striped ball into a corner pocket, get a lucky roll from the cue ball, and go on a two-ball run before a bad leave places me in a blockade of Colette’s solids.
     “So, does that mean you aren’t interested in ruining your reputation?” she asks.  With a crisp smack she sends a solid into a corner pocket.
     The question carries overtones of innuendo, and I seek a suitably coy response.  “Maybe not just yet,” I say. 
    Colette knocks down another solid, and then unaccountably dogs an easy 1/4 ball hit that results in a scratch to the middle pocket.
   “I see,” she says.  Retrieving the cue ball, she comes close, places it in my palm, and lets her fingers linger on my hand.  A smell of cigarettes permeates her breath and helps dispel a façade that had influenced my earlier perception.  While glossed with a sultry allure in the dimly lighted bar, up close Collette’s face reflects the haggard sadness of a woman hopelessly clinging to the vestiges of lost youth.  “Well, you look like a guy who knows how to treat a lady right,” she whispers, bringing her lips close to my ear.  “Now, take your shot.”
     The sultry intimations act like pixie dust, and I proceed to run the table, sinking the remaining four stripes in succession.  As I ponder how to best knock down the 8-ball, the on-lookers—including Sally, who, still fuming over the unwelcome lesson in pronunciation, flashes a particularly uncomplimentary glance--crowd close, curious if Colette’s defeat might finally be at hand.  Colette, showing little apprehension, casually chalks her cue, and sidles to the end rail opposite me, placing her cleavage in my line of sight.  She gives me a wink.
     “8-ball, far corner,” I announce, calling the shot per standard billiard protocol.  Feeling the eyes of the spectators, I address the ball and draw back my cue.  Recognizing the shot as one with high scratch potential, I decide to slightly cheat the pocket as I set my aiming line. 
     Just as I take the shot, Colette leans low against the table, her blouse dangled so I see both the profile of her breasts and the fact that she doesn’t wear a bra.  The distraction sends the cue ball off-course, to carom off the side and into the sewer of the opposite corner pocket.  The scratch costs me the game.  Accompanied by gasps and laughs from the spectators, I lay the cue on the table and join the ranks of the defeated.
    “Who’s the queen?” Colette asks.
    “Colette’s the queen,” I reluctantly voice.  My triumphant adversary blows me a kiss and rests her cue against the wall.  Instead of awaiting the challenge of the next contestant, she pats my shoulder and leads me away from the table.
    “Care to join me for a smoke?” she asks.
    “I don’t smoke,” I say, in a once-bitten, twice-shy tone that indicates my displeasure with Colette’s Machiavellian tactics
    “Well, maybe you need some fresh air then.”
    The mention of fresh air makes me perceive just how stifling the bar had grown, and I notice the dampness of perspiration on my shirt.
    “Fresh air sounds good,” I agree.
    We amble out of the bar and across the grassy plateau to the parking area.  From the glove box of a beat-up sedan, Colette obtains a pack of cigarettes and a lighter.  Meanwhile, as my eyes adjust to the night, I gasp in sudden wonder.  A thousand fireflies appear congregated among the grass and upon the metal surfaces of the parked cars.  Then, my perception shifts, and I recognize the fireflies as dew drops that gleam diamond with reflected starlight—diamond, but also emerald and sapphire, as beads of yellow and green sparkle among the white.  When I turn my gaze upward, the source of the lightshow spreads across the night:  the Milky Way like a burst of spray paint, Sirius outshining its neighbors, and a hint of the Southern Cross low on the horizon.  The stars of Micronesia dance as though plugged in to a celestial current.  Disregarding the dew and an occasional buzzing mosquito, I lean my back against Colette’s car and try to remember if I’ve ever seen a night as stunning as the one that now envelopes my gaze.
    “Beautiful, isn’t it?” Colette says.  Her cigarette brightens and dims as she drags and exhales. 
    “Beautiful and beyond,” I say.  “I’ve never seen anything like it.” 
    For a while, in silence, we watch the stars.  Colette sits with her leg against mine, and the soft warmth almost, but not quite, draws me to her.  Her coquettish smile suggests a spirited lass eager for a kiss, but her eyes pool with the sadness of a haggard woman tormented by time.  Feeling awkward, I move away slightly, and fill the gap with conversation. “So, what’s with all the Colette’s-the-queen stuff?” I ask.  “Does anybody else get similar accolades?”
     Colette sighs but indulges my interrogation.
    “In my younger days I competed in beauty contests,” she says.  “I actually made runner-up for Miss Texas.”  Sucking her cigarette, she assesses the impact of this information.  “You don’t believe me?” she asks accusingly.
    Opening the car door, she rummages through the glove box and produces a postcard-size photo for scrutiny.  “That’s me on Galveston Beach,” she says.  Illumined by the car’s interior light, a bikini-clad brunette stares back from the picture.
    “Miss Texas, huh?” I ponder.
    “Runner up,” she clarifies. “But the girl who beat me cheated.  She was having an affair with one of the judges.  Really, I should have won.”
    “Colette the beauty queen,” I muse. “So, how did you end up here?
    “How does anybody end up anywhere?” she sighs, after a long pause in which she returns her attention to the stars.
    The question dangles, rhetorically ripe, a doorway to philosophical inquiry where simple questions invoke complex answers.
    Collette laughs the half-amused, half-bitter laugh of the jaded.  “We don’t control the circumstances of our lives.  One day I woke up and found I was nothing special.  So, I cling to that little place where confidence still resides—sometimes that’s a pool table at Club Cupid.”

No comments:

Post a Comment